Please click here to view Shane Oliver's update on the impact the Coronavirus is having on investment markets.
Key points raised are :
- While reported new coronavirus cases in China have slowed, the pickup in cases outside China has led to a renewed sharp fall in share markets and bond yields.
- The base case is that the outbreak will be contained allowing share markets and bond yields to rebound in the June quarter.
- However, the hit to economic activity is deepening and the risks around Covid-19 becoming a pandemic have risen leaving shares vulnerable to more short term falls
- The key for most investors though is to recongise that periodic share market falls are inevitable and hard to time
- Therefore it's best to take a long-term approach to investing